Founded in 1882, Congregation Beth Israel's temple building was originally located at the corner of Market and Church (now 2nd) Streets. To make way for a post office building in 1904, the synagogue was moved to its present location. Fire destroyed the roof and damaged the contents of the building in 1948. The Torah scrolls were rescued by Harry O'Mansky and Isaac Walters and the building was rebuilt and dedicated a year later.
In 1883, Rabbi William Weinstein was brought from Alabama to lead the congregation. After his departure, laymen conducted the services for nearly a century before a full time Rabbi was hired in 1979.
Joining the Union of Hebrew Congregations in 1927, Congregation Beth Israel established itself as a Reform Congregation. Today the synagogue strives to meet the needs of the entire Jewish Community.
In 1987 a wing was added to the historic structure to accommodate the Religious school. Construction of a new building to accommodate the expanding Religious school, a small chapel and expanded offices was completed in 1996.
CBI Preschool was founded in 1998 by volunteers and CBI members Jan Dorman and Elayne Phillips to provide a warm, nurturing, and creative Jewish environment for young children. The program started with six children enrolled in a three morning per week class. In response to community interest, a daily full day program was established in 2000 and now serves over sixty children. In 2008, the school again responded to community interest with the addition of a kindergarten class for five and six year olds.